One person’s trash is another person’s treasure!

30 de November de 2016

Pawnbroker sign

blog-16

Many people used Black Friday and Cyber Monday in late November to start buying presents. After all, December was only a week away and December means Christmas. Depending on where you live, you will be exchanging gifts, eating too much food and drinking in excess around the 25th of the month, unless of course you are lucky enough to live in the Netherlands where they celebrate Sinterklaas on the 6th of December.

But, isn’t it a little early to be talking about Christmas?

I think so. My point is, why wait until 25th, when December is full of days on which we can uncork a bottle of champagne.  For example, if you work in sales or marketing you can open that bottle of champagne on the 4th of December to celebrate National Salesperson’s Day.

For me the real day to celebrate is the 6th of December. That’s the day I really plan to let my hair down. Why? Well, that’s because December the 6th is National Pawnbrokers’ Day. The day even has its own patron saint, St. Nicholas. A pawnbroker is, according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, a person who “lends money in exchange for personal property that can be sold if the loan is not repaid by a certain time.” There are lots of pawnbrokers in all major cities and they don’t just accept gold jewellery; you can take that old Play Station you never use and get some money for it.

So how can I celebrate and how do you plan to celebrate this great day? What would you take to your local pawn shop? And when they give you the money for your pawned item, what would you do with the money?

P.S. If pawnbroking doesn’t appeal to you, click here to find out other celebration days in December. That way you will discover why there is a picture of a bath tub at the top of this post.

About the author
Comments
Maria Teresa Tanco1 de December de 2016 at 16:54

Yes it’s correct.
But there are many interests, so that people go to buy.
Of course Christmas should be a time for solidarity.
A time to help other people who do not have to eat each day. Christmas instead has become a fantastic chance to spend a lot of money. We will buy stupid gifts, and we will eat a lot of expensive food.
But in January we can diet, we can exercise to lose weight.

What do you miss about Christmas starting in November?

Maria Teresa Tanco

Reply
    Patricia Benson5 de December de 2016 at 11:49

Hi Maria Teresa,
    When I first arrived in Spain , Christmas lights were put up in the streets around the 20 December. However, like everything else, we follow the trends in the US and UK and now the Barcelona lights were turned on on 24 November. As you say, Maria teresa, Christmas starts in November. It’s ridiculous! This year I am going to try not to buy but to make my presents. Any ideas for what I could make?

Reply
Add comment